- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Endoscopy From Your Trusted Veterinarians in Greenfield
When you visit our trusted and experienced veterinarians in Greenfield, our team will work closely with you to determine what type of care is right for your pet. Often, this involves working to understand what’s happening within the animal’s body. Procedures such as endoscopy provide us with an opportunity to gather information and even to repair some concerns without invasive surgery. If you believe your pet needs care, schedule a consultation with our team. Serving Oak Creek, Greendale, and Milwaukee areas, we’re here when you need us.
What Is Endoscopy?
Endoscopy is a procedure in which a very thin tube is placed into the mouth of your pet. It moves down into the digestive system or respiratory system to look for concerns. This is a minimally invasive procedure. Your pet is sedated during the procedure. The endoscope is inserted through the mouth or the colon through the animal’s rectum.
With endoscopy, we can perform several steps.
- The tube has a camera on it. This camera relays messages back to us in the office. This gives us real-time information about what’s occurring.
- We can use the endoscope to take a sample of tissues. For example, to determine if there is an infection or the type of tumor present, we can use the endoscope to remove a sample of tissue from within the body that we can then test.
- We can also use an endoscope for foreign object removal. It allows us to remove, for example, an object your pet swallowed and cannot pass.
When you bring your pet in to see our team, we may recommend an endoscopy for him or her if we believe there is a need.
When Is Endoscopy Beneficial?
We may recommend an endoscopy whenever there is a need to gather more information or for foreign object removal. Some of the instances in which we may recommend it include the following:
- Abnormal swelling
- Foreign body lodged such as a rock, toy, bone, or stick
- Inflammation testing
- Tumor samples (biopsy)
- Stomach lining for vomiting pets
- Upper respiratory diagnostics
- Diagnostics of any of the gastrointestinal tract
When we perform this procedure, we gain a real-time view of the organs within the pet. Generally, we are able to make diagnostic decisions during the procedure. However, whenever we must remove a sample, further testing becomes necessary to tell us what is happening within the tissues. Because this is a minimally invasive procedure, your pet will recover from the anesthesia and be able to go home with you the same day (assuming no additional care is necessary.)
Schedule an Endoscopy With Your Greenfield Veterinary Clinic Today!
If your dog or cat is in need of an endoscopy, or you are unsure if this is necessary, schedule a consultation with Greenfield Veterinary Clinic. Serving Oak Creek, Greendale, and Milwaukee areas, we’re here to help your pet with any needs he or she may have. Call us today: 414-282-5230